STOP CARSON FORECLOSURE
With unexpected circumstances, increase in cost of living and the turbulent economy, more and more families are finding themselves unable to manage their monthly income. Cities across the country are taking proactive measures to educate their citizens on foreclosure prevention resources so that more families stay in their homes and their communities continue to flourish and grow.
The City of Carson is committed to helping Carson residents navigate through the overwhelming information and provide reliable resources that can assist our community through these challenging times.
The Carson Foreclosure Prevention Awareness Initiative (CFPAI) is a campaign created to raise awareness of existing options for those at risk of foreclosure, but also highlights tips and smart decisions that may help prevent foreclosure in the future
Tips to Avoid Foreclosure
If you are having difficulty paying your mortgage on time or foresee difficulty in the future, the city of Carson recommends the following:
- DO NOT ignore letters from your lender.
- Contact your mortgage lender directly – IMMEDIATELY. Be Prepared
- Talk to a HUD certified foreclosure avoidance counselor to understand your options.
- DO NOT stop making payments to your lender.
- Avoid “foreclosure consultants” or “foreclosure prevention companies” that make big promises with up-front fees.
Understand Possible Solutions to Save Your Home
The city of Carson recommends the moment you realize you cannot make your mortgage payment is the moment you should contact your lender. Educate yourself on options available for your circumstance. There are various solutions that can assist you:
Know Your Rights
The city of Carson recommends the need for prevention legislation is critical to address the problem of increasing foreclosures in California.
- SB 1137 – Requires lenders to contact homeowners and explore options before initiating the foreclosure process.
- SB X2 7 “California Foreclosure Prevention Act” (CFPA) establishes a ninety-day moratorium on foreclosure for any lender that does not have an aggressive program for affordable loan modifications.
- Civil Code Section 2945 “California Foreclosure Consultant Act” regulates “foreclosure consultants” and prohibits them from collecting any advance fees for mortgage modification services if a Notice of Default has been recorded against their property.
For more information and recent updates on California foreclosure legislation please visit: Official California Legislative Information
File a Complaint
If Carson homeowners feel their lender, attorney, consultant and/or realtor have misrepresented and/or violated any of their consumer rights, the City recommends you file a complaint with the appropriate agency:
California Department of Real Estate: Consumer protection agency for consumers who want to file a complaint against a real estate broker.
LA Office Complaint Line (213) 620-2072
California Attorney General Public Inquiry Unit: Serves as the Attorney General’s central clearinghouse for inquiries and consumer complaints.
Federal Trade Commission: Nation’s consumer protection agency. Collects complaints about companies, business practices, identity theft and episodes of violence in the media.
(877) FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
State Bar of California: Investigates and prosecutes complaints against lawyers
Keep Your Keys
Keep Your Keys is highly experienced in helping Carson homeowners stop foreclosure. With our 5 star reviews and exceptional customer service you would be hard pressed to find a better partner. Leave your checkbook at home and contact us today for a no cost, no obligation, appointment to get started.